Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stationers' Hall

A Scheduled Monument in Farringdon Within, City of London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5143 / 51°30'51"N

Longitude: -0.1017 / 0°6'6"W

OS Eastings: 531819.232265

OS Northings: 181198.256784

OS Grid: TQ318811

Mapcode National: GBR PC.9B

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.663F

Entry Name: Stationers' Hall

Scheduled Date: 7 January 1952

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1005549

English Heritage Legacy ID: LO 42

County: City of London

Electoral Ward/Division: Farringdon Within

Built-Up Area: City of London

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London

Church of England Parish: St Sepulchre Holborn

Church of England Diocese: London

Summary

Stationers’ Hall, 30m north-east of the Guild Church of St Martin-within-Ludgate.

Source: Historic England

Details

This record was the subject of a minor enhancement on 25 September 2014. The record has been generated from an "old county number" (OCN) scheduling record. These are monuments that were not reviewed under the Monuments Protection Programme and are some of our oldest designation records.

The monument includes a late 17th century livery hall, altered in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries. It is situated between Amen Court and Ludgate Hill, near St Paul’s Cathedral in the City of London.

The main front to Amen Court, was refaced by Robert Mylne in 1800. It is constructed of Portland stone with four round-arched windows and an arched doorway, a cornice and parapet. There is a second, lower entrance to the basement. Behind the Amen Court frontage, the hall buildings are disposed around a central courtyard. These include the hall-block, a single storey building on the east side, the Court Room, a three storey building on the north side, and the Storehouses, a single storey to the west. The Guild Church of St Martin-within-Ludgate completes the south side of the quadrangle. A later wing projects to the east from the north end of the hall-block, backing onto Stationers’ Hall Court, and is not included in the scheduling. The walls of the hall-block have a chalk core to the lower parts and are of brick above; the other buildings are of brick with some Portland stone dressings and the roofs are covered with tiles and slate. The walls of the basement of the Hall are thought to contain surviving masonry of an earlier house of Lord Abergavenny.

The Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers (better known as the Stationers’ Company) were formed in 1403 and gained a Royal Charter in 1557. It was responsible for copying and selling manuscript books and writing materials, as well as enforcing copyright regulations until about 1695. The company purchased the mansion house of Lord Abergavenny on the current site in 1606. It was burnt down in the Great Fire of London and the current hall was built on the site in about 1670. The Court Room was added in 1748 and alterations were carried out in about 1800, 1885 and in 1952.

Stationers’ Hall is Grade I listed. The Roman and medieval remains of London Wall on the west side of the site are included in a separate scheduling.

Source: Historic England

Reasons for Scheduling

A livery hall is a type of guildhall belonging primarily to the London livery companies (chartered companies originating from the craft guilds), but also found elsewhere in the country. It is so called because of the livery worn by members of the guild. Guildhalls were traditionally the hall of a crafts, trade, or merchants’ guild but latterly had many different functions and became recognised in the 19th century as town halls. Some livery or guild halls were built in the medieval period but they became more widespread in the 17th and 18th centuries. The classic form was often a first-floor meeting room, raised on arcades, incorporating an open-sided market hall on the ground floor. They also often included administrative rooms or offices. During the eighteenth century increasing architectural elaboration was given to halls, reflecting the success of livery companies, the growth of municipal self-awareness and urban identity. Until the Municipal Corporations Reform Act in 1835, boroughs (corporations), which were often based at guildhalls, acted as private bodies that existed for the benefit of their members rather than the community at large. The Act reformed the administration and accountability of incorporated boroughs and they subsequently gained greater municipal power and responsibility. This was reflected in the scale and architectural adornment of later guildhalls, which became high points of Victorian public architecture.

Despite later alterations and restoration, Stationers’ Hall is a fine example of a late 17th century livery hall, which survives well. It will also retain archaeological information about the mansion house of Lord Abergavenny. It is a significant testament to the development of commercial activity and trade regulation in the City of London.

Source: Historic England

Sources

Websites
The Stationers’ and Newspaper Makers’ Company. Url: http://www.stationers.org/ , accessed from http://www.stationers.org/
Other
NMR TQ38SW838. PastScape 405361. LBS 199293,

Source: Historic England

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.