This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7869 / 51°47'12"N
Longitude: -4.4124 / 4°24'44"W
OS Eastings: 233707
OS Northings: 212554
OS Grid: SN337125
Mapcode National: GBR DB.YL5P
Mapcode Global: VH3LT.GCQ1
Entry Name: Yr Hen Gapel, Llanybri
Scheduled Date: 1 May 1991
Source ID: 651
Cadw Legacy ID: CM250
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Carmarthenshire (Sir Gaerfyrddin)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The monument consists of the remains of the ancient chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary at Llanybri, thought to date back to the 14th century. The chapel was formerly attached to the parish of Llansteffan but, after becoming ruinous, was acquired by William Evans, a leading Carmarthen dissenter. It was fitted up for non-Conformist worship after the passing of the Toleration Act in 1689 and, despite considerable efforts, it never returned to the Anglican Church. It is the only medieval chapel to be converted into a non-conformist chapel in Wales. What survives is a nave, roofless, with its side walls reduced, and a west tower with a pyramidal roof. The building is c.23m long and 6m wide, set within a small churchyard which is included within the scheduled area. The Church was remodelled in the 1690s (which may be when the east window was added?) and again in 1879. Today the remains are conserved, and there is seating and an interpretation panel. The tower also acts as Llanybri's war memorial, with two plaques commemorating the fallen.
The site is of national importance for its ability to enhance our knowledge of religious buildings and practices, and their change over time. In particular, the use of this medieval chapel for non-conformist worship is thought to be unique, making this chapel nationally significant in the study of the non-conformist movement in Wales.
The scheduled area consists of the chapel and graveyard, as described above.
Other nearby scheduled monuments