This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5853 / 51°35'7"N
Longitude: -4.0901 / 4°5'24"W
OS Eastings: 255292
OS Northings: 189454
OS Grid: SS552894
Mapcode National: GBR GV.H36L
Mapcode Global: VH4KF.2F31
Entry Name: Trinity Well and Remains of Chapel
Source ID: 3748
Cadw Legacy ID: GM158
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Swansea (Abertawe)
Community: Ilston (Llanddinol)
Built-Up Area: Southgate
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument comprises the remains of a small chapel dating to the medieval period. Trinity Well Chapel stands in Ilston Combe on the eastern side of the stream. Built by John Myles c. 1649-60, the chapel is the oldest Baptist chapel in Wales. Stones from a pre-reformation chapel dedicated to St Cenydd were used in its construction. The Trinity Well is said to have worked miracles for sore eyes.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.