Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Warden Mound & Bailey Castle

A Scheduled Monument in Presteigne (Llanandras), Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2744 / 52°16'27"N

Longitude: -3.0132 / 3°0'47"W

OS Eastings: 330963

OS Northings: 264508

OS Grid: SO309645

Mapcode National: GBR B5.YYMR

Mapcode Global: VH772.Q3D9

Entry Name: The Warden Mound & Bailey Castle

Scheduled Date:

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1926

Cadw Legacy ID: RD052

Schedule Class: Defence

Category: Motte & Bailey

Period: Medieval

County: Powys

Community: Presteigne (Llanandras)

Built-Up Area: Presteigne

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Description

The monument comprises the remains of a motte and bailey castle, a military stronghold built during the medieval period. A motte and bailey castle comprises a large conical or pyramidal mound of soil or stone (the motte) surrounded by, or adjacent to, one or more embanked enclosures (the bailey). Both may be surrounded by wet or dry ditches and could be further strengthened with palisades, revetments, and/or a tower on top of the motte. The Warden stands on a rocky promontory commanding the valley of the Lugg, forming a pair with Stapleton Castle on the opposite side of the river. The motte is unusually large, measuring c.43m east-west by c.21m, and appears more like a ringwork, with a bank around its edge rising c.0.5m above the level interior on the west, north and east sides, and traces of an outer ditch on the west and north-east; along the south side there is only a scarp. Adjoining this structure, to its east, at a general level about 1.6m lower, is a sub-rectangular bailey area measuring c.42m west-south-west to east-north-east by c.35m internally, defined by scarps. The site is said to have been levelled by Llywelyn in 1262, but was again mentioned as 'castle ditch' in 1337; the whole area was landscaped in the 19th century.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive organisation. The well-preserved monument forms an important element within the wider medieval context and the structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information relating to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.

The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.