This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.138 / 53°8'16"N
Longitude: -3.6806 / 3°40'50"W
OS Eastings: 287672
OS Northings: 361412
OS Grid: SH876614
Mapcode National: GBR 69.66DS
Mapcode Global: WH65Z.FDK6
Entry Name: St. Gwenfrewi's Chapel, Gwytherin
Scheduled Date: 10 April 1996
Source ID: 1463
Cadw Legacy ID: DE240
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The monument comprises the remains of the small medieval chapel of St. Gwerfrewi, located at the centre of a small D-shaped field to the south of St. Winifred's churchyard. The chapel site survives as a flat topped hillock on which is a shallow depression 3m in diameter.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments