This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6122 / 51°36'43"N
Longitude: -2.9094 / 2°54'33"W
OS Eastings: 337126
OS Northings: 190762
OS Grid: ST371907
Mapcode National: GBR J9.9NWT
Mapcode Global: VH7B7.JQ8Z
Entry Name: St Curig's Chapel (Remains of), Cats Ash
Source ID: 2402
Cadw Legacy ID: MM175
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Newport (Casnewydd)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The monument comprises the remains of a small medieval chapel. It appears in the book of Llandaff as Capella Sancti Ciriaci and is probably the Capella de Fraxino which Robert de Chandos gave to Goldcliff Priory in 1113. The present structure is 14th century and in 1536 ‘The Old Chapel’ was let by Sir William Morgan of Pencoed to Morgan ap Emon for 99 years. The chapel is a simple rectangular structure, 12m by 7m, and has a blocked window with pointed head at the east end.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments