This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7893 / 51°47'21"N
Longitude: -4.8548 / 4°51'17"W
OS Eastings: 203206
OS Northings: 213929
OS Grid: SN032139
Mapcode National: GBR CQ.YJGP
Mapcode Global: VH1RN.S9T4
Entry Name: Slebech Old Church
Scheduled Date: 17 June 1952
Source ID: 2697
Cadw Legacy ID: PE275
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument comprises the remains of a church, dating to the medieval period comprising chancel, nave, north and south transepts, and north porch with tower. Associated with the Commandery of the Knights Hospitaller it was in existence before 1152, when Worcester Abbey resigned its interest and granted the church to the Knights. It was not listed in the Taxatio of 1291. It became a parish church at the Dissolution. In the early 19th century it was replaced by a new church on the present A40 and was reduced to its present condition of a stable but roofless ruin for occasional open air services. Medieval effigies from the north porch, possibly of 15th century Sir John Wogan and wife were removed to the new church..
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval ecclesiastical organisation. The monument forms an important element within the wider medieval context and the structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information in regard to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments