This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7632 / 51°45'47"N
Longitude: -4.8694 / 4°52'9"W
OS Eastings: 202084
OS Northings: 211060
OS Grid: SN020110
Mapcode National: GBR G9.P1K3
Mapcode Global: VH1RN.KY27
Entry Name: Landshipping House Garden Remains
Scheduled Date: 27 April 1994
Source ID: 3288
Cadw Legacy ID: PE454
Schedule Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument consists of a garden associated with the now-demolished Landshipping House. Documentary evidence records work on a water folly here in 1697, and the garden seems to have been created by Sir Arthur Owen, 3rd Bart. of Orileton, after he became an MP in 1695. Remains extend over 2.1 ha; the north end has two brick walled gardens, the earlier with walls up to 2.5 m high and windows over what was formerly the great garden, surrounded by a stone wall it is full of complex earthwork features relating to an elaborate formal garden within which are three formal ponds and a further two ponds to the south.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the use of gardens and parks. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.