This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6568 / 51°39'24"N
Longitude: -4.0377 / 4°2'15"W
OS Eastings: 259144
OS Northings: 197306
OS Grid: SS591973
Mapcode National: GBR GW.9R1B
Mapcode Global: VH4K1.YMT7
Entry Name: Roman Practice Camp on Stafford Common
Scheduled Date: 10 June 1996
Source ID: 1478
Cadw Legacy ID: GM502
Schedule Class: Defence
Category: Practice camp
County: Swansea (Abertawe)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument comprises a well-preserved practice camp dating to the Roman period (AD74-410). The camp was constructed as part of a military training exercise by auxillary soldiers, who paid particular attention to the corners and entrances, which were the most difficult elements of a fort to build. The camp is roughly square on plan with rounded corners aligned to the cardinal points of the compass. It measures 53m by 46m, with a 3m wide and 0.2m high bank. It was connected with the nearby Roman auxiliary fort at Loughor. The camp lies on boggy heathland in the junction between two roads.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of Roman military organisation. The monument forms an important element within the wider context of the Roman occupation of Wales and the structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques, together with a strong probability of environmental evidence.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments