This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6737 / 51°40'25"N
Longitude: -3.9933 / 3°59'35"W
OS Eastings: 262264
OS Northings: 199095
OS Grid: SS622990
Mapcode National: GBR GX.7QR2
Mapcode Global: VH4K2.Q6R8
Entry Name: Remains of Astronomical Observatory at Penllergaer
Scheduled Date: 8 May 1980
Source ID: 144
Cadw Legacy ID: GM410
Schedule Class: Education
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Swansea (Abertawe)
Community: Penllergaer (Penlle'r-gaer)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument consists of an observatory, a building containing celestial telescopes in which astronomical phenomena may be observed. The observatory was constructed in 1846 by John Dillwyn Llewelyn. It comprises a circular stone built telescope chamber measuring 5.5m in diameter. In the centre of this is a conical drum which supported the telescope and a rectangular chamber with vaulted roof abuts on the east side. The chamber is made out of triangular hollow brick. The use of this unusual material was probably to insulate or perhaps to decrease any vibration which would affect the operation of the telescope.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of scientific techniques and processes. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments