This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7579 / 51°45'28"N
Longitude: -5.0836 / 5°5'1"W
OS Eastings: 187280
OS Northings: 211076
OS Grid: SM872110
Mapcode National: GBR G4.VJYW
Mapcode Global: VH1RQ.T2VR
Entry Name: Rath S of St James Church
Scheduled Date: 7 June 1950
Source ID: 348
Cadw Legacy ID: PE189
Schedule Class: Defence
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Community: Walwyn's Castle (Castell Gwalchmai)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument comprises a small defended enclosure or rath, which probably dates to the Iron Age period (800 BC - 43 AD). Usually enclosed by a bank and ditch, raths often contsin evidence of intensive occupation. Extending to the north-east of the main bank is an oval-shaped terrace 75m by 60m, whose outer bank rises to 2m at its north-east corner where stone work is visible. There are linear earthworks visible on top of the terrace. To the south of the square motte or stronghold is a large flat field with very steeply scarped sides which may have acted as a second bailey to the medieval castle or been a secure infield to the earlier prehistoric site.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of Iron Age settlement and social organisation. The monument forms an important element within the wider later prehistoric landscape. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information in regard to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.