Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pricaston Farmhouse

A Scheduled Monument in Stackpole and Castlemartin (Stackpole a Chastellmartin), Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6285 / 51°37'42"N

Longitude: -5.01 / 5°0'35"W

OS Eastings: 191770

OS Northings: 196484

OS Grid: SR917964

Mapcode National: GBR G7.16H5

Mapcode Global: VH1SC.3BSD

Entry Name: Pricaston Farmhouse

Scheduled Date: 14 January 1992

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 2090

Cadw Legacy ID: PE451

Schedule Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Category: Farmstead

Period: Medieval

County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)

Community: Stackpole and Castlemartin (Stackpole a Chastellmartin)

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Description

The monument consists of the remains of a farmhouse originating in the late medieval period. The early core is represented by a well preserved cross or screens passage having a series of three two centred stone arches on the south west leading to two vaulted service rooms below a solar. A further two centred arched doorway at the passage’s north west end has the remains of a spiral stair to the solar above it. The solar retains a trefoil headed lancet window and the remains of a corbelled chimney. A tower, previously detached from the main building but now incorporated into a kitchen wing and containing a corn-drying kiln, is of comparable medieval date, it also has the remains of a corbelled chimney. To the north east of the cross passage is the hall; much modified in the 18th century and attached to this a north east range possibly with early origins but showing a complex sequence of development. In the 18th century a dining room was attached north west of the hall. The 19th century saw the kitchen range added to the rear. The site is first recorded in 1592, but was probably the home of John Le Prikker, tenant of the Earl of Pembroke in 1325.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge medieval and post-medieval settlement and domestic activity. It survives in a remarkable setting where medieval and earlier features survive in a relict landscape and retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques. A house may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.

The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.