This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6213 / 51°37'16"N
Longitude: -5 / 4°59'59"W
OS Eastings: 192429
OS Northings: 195646
OS Grid: SR924956
Mapcode National: GBR G7.1WL6
Mapcode Global: VH1SC.9H2Z
Entry Name: Flimston Farmhouse
Scheduled Date: 9 April 1993
Source ID: 2744
Cadw Legacy ID: PE447
Schedule Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Community: Stackpole and Castlemartin (Stackpole a Chastellmartin)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument consists of the remains of a farmhouse originating in the late medieval period; the site of Flimston (or originally Flemissheton) first appearing in the rentals of the Earl of Pembroke in 1246. It represented half of a knight’s fee which in 1324 was worth 100s per annum and at this time was held by William de Castro along with other properties in the area. The semi-ruinous building incorporates a complex series of development with the early core represented by a late medieval two storey gabled block at its north end. The north side of this has evidence for two late medieval windows and has a corbelled flue carrying a tall circular chimney. There is a rectangular light to the undercroft of the main facade. The interior of this block contains a small vaulted undercroft that appears to be a later insertion as it rises above the floor level on which the corbelled and hooded fireplace stands. At this lower level are the remains of a blocked doorway in the south wall. The house was extended in the early post medieval period at right angles to this block by a hall with rooms at ground floor, served by a cross-passage. This phase has segmental stone walls, one of which leads into the undercroft and a large gable fireplace at the S end, which was subsequently modified to include ovens. A semi-hexagonal tower was also added later. In the 18th and 19th century modernization occurred with new windows, internal brickwork partitions and the extension of the building to the south and east. By this time it formed part of The Stackpole Estate and as a farmhouse was occupied until The Second World War.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge medieval and post-medieval settlement and domestic activity. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques. A house may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It excludes the later extensions of the 19th century.
Other nearby scheduled monuments