This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.015 / 52°0'54"N
Longitude: -4.8318 / 4°49'54"W
OS Eastings: 205767
OS Northings: 238965
OS Grid: SN057389
Mapcode National: GBR CR.HB4H
Mapcode Global: VH2MZ.6MG4
Entry Name: Pillar Cross in Newport Churchyard
Scheduled Date: 7 November 1956
Source ID: 2699
Cadw Legacy ID: PE304
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Cross-marked stone
Period: Early Medieval
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Community: Newport (Trefdraeth)
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The monument consists of a stone with a cross carved into the surface, probably dating to the medieval period and standing outside the west end of church. It was moved to the churchyard in 1956 having been formerly used as a gatepost (set head downwards) at Cnwc - Y Croywydd, beside the Newport - Fishguard road opposite Cnwc farmhouse. It has an Incised Latin ring across with crossed foot and curved bar below, 5ft x 11ft 6ins x 1ft. Stands outside West end of church.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. A cross marked stone may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and their importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments