This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2865 / 53°17'11"N
Longitude: -3.4578 / 3°27'28"W
OS Eastings: 302913
OS Northings: 377600
OS Grid: SJ029776
Mapcode National: GBR 4Z9F.6M
Mapcode Global: WH659.VNMD
Entry Name: Part of Site of Norman Borough
Scheduled Date: 28 May 1970
Source ID: 3102
Cadw Legacy ID: FL129
Schedule Class: Civil
County: Denbighshire (Sir Ddinbych)
Built-Up Area: Rhuddlan
Traditional County: Flintshire
This monument comprises the remains of the medieval town borough of Rhuddlan.
Located to the north, east and south of the Norman motte and bailey castle (Twthill), the borough is recorded in the Domesday book as being established by Robert ‘of Rhuddlan’ and earl Hugh. By 1086 the borough contained 18 burgesses, a church and a mint.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval urban organisation and the growth of towns. The monument forms an important element within the wider medieval context and the area itself may be expected to contain archaeological information in regard to chronology, building techniques and functional detail. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.