This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.258 / 52°15'28"N
Longitude: -3.3317 / 3°19'54"W
OS Eastings: 309198
OS Northings: 263041
OS Grid: SO091630
Mapcode National: GBR 9R.ZY34
Mapcode Global: VH69G.6HHV
Entry Name: Old Castle Mound
Source ID: 1936
Cadw Legacy ID: RD077
Schedule Class: Defence
Community: Penybont (Pen-y-bont)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
The monument comprises the remains of a motte or ringwork and ditch, dating to the medieval period (c. 1066 -1540 AD). A motte is a large conical or pyramidal mound of soil and/or stone, usually surrounded by either a wet or dry ditch, and surmounted by a tower constructed of timber or stone. A ringwork is similar but has a distinct bank around the edge of the summit. Old Castle Mound stands above a steep scarp overlooking the river Irfon, which runs immediately to its south. The central mound is c.40m in diameter at its base, with a roughly D-shaped summit, measuring c.16m north-south by c.13.5m. The summit is surrounded by a bank on all sides apart from the south, where it is open above the river. The mound as a whole is surrounded by a ditch c.0.5m deep on its west, north and east, which again runs out into the natural scarp on the south. A bailey has been suggested to the north-west, though little trace of this is now visible.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments