This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0853 / 52°5'7"N
Longitude: -4.6804 / 4°40'49"W
OS Eastings: 216449
OS Northings: 246388
OS Grid: SN164463
Mapcode National: GBR CY.BZNN
Mapcode Global: VH2MN.TVJ8
Entry Name: Old Castle Mound
Scheduled Date: 3 July 1958
Source ID: 1880
Cadw Legacy ID: CD116
Schedule Class: Defence
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Community: St. Dogmaels (Llandudoch)
Built-Up Area: St Dogmaels
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
The monument comprises the remains of a well preserved castle-ringwork, which dates to the medieval period (c. AD 1066 - 1485). Old Castle Mound occupies a substantial rocky promontory jutting into the estuary of the Teifi and would be admirably placed to monitor water traffic on the river. It consists of a rocky knoll defended on the west by natural cliffs and on the east or landward side by a bank and ditch, which meets the coastline at either end. It might equally be classified as a motte or as a coastal promontory fort. The enclosed summit is only c.60m north-south by c.24m, tapering towards the north. The defensive bank rises up to 1m above the level of the interior, and there is a fall of c.7m externally to the base of the ditch, which is c.2m below the level of the surrounding field. There may be a causewayed entrance near its southern end. A further bank up to c.0.8m high appears to join the eastern side of the ditch about halfway along, and then to curve round towards the south to form a further enclosure, but this may be natural in origin. The site has been identified with Din Geraint, mentioned in 1093.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement, organisation and defence. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. It is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments