This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5118 / 51°30'42"N
Longitude: -3.4039 / 3°24'14"W
OS Eastings: 302669
OS Northings: 180140
OS Grid: ST026801
Mapcode National: GBR HM.HY8Y
Mapcode Global: VH6F2.Y8BD
Entry Name: Medieval Chapel of Talygarn
Scheduled Date: 10 July 1991
Source ID: 614
Cadw Legacy ID: GM442
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Rhondda, Cynon, Taff (Rhondda Cynon Taf)
Built-Up Area: Brynsadler
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument consists of the remains of the medieval chapel of ease to Llantrisant. The chapel stands in the churchyard and to the north-east of the 19th century church that replaced it. The structure consists of four walls standing full height and the two side walls of a porch on the south side. At some time three tie-bars have been inserted to hold the south and north walls in place. Inside the walls are plastered. There is no roof but at the west end some tiles remain on the gable end. A late 13th - mid 14th century trefoil headed lancet with good quality ashlar dressings is located in the east wall. The west and north walls have no openings. There are three large segmental headed windows in the south wall. The church was restored in the 1680's under the terms of the will of Sir Leolne Jenkins, and the three windows belong to this phase. The chapel was disused in the 19th century when the adjacent church of St. Anne's was built. The roof of the old church fell in 1926, but is still intact.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.