This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.579 / 51°34'44"N
Longitude: -2.8314 / 2°49'53"W
OS Eastings: 342485
OS Northings: 187014
OS Grid: ST424870
Mapcode National: GBR JD.CQJ8
Mapcode Global: VH7BG.WK0V
Entry Name: Medieval Building adjoining Magor Churchyard
Scheduled Date: 4 August 1972
Source ID: 2411
Cadw Legacy ID: MM180
Schedule Class: Domestic
Category: House (domestic)
County: Monmouthshire (Sir Fynwy)
Community: Magor with Undy (Magwyr gyda Gwndy)
Built-Up Area: Undy
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The monument consists of the remains of a building of 14th century date and traditionally known as the Procurator’s House. The site comprises the remains of a two storey building with a basement located immediately to the W of the churchyard on its W side. It lies in a narrow strip of land between the churchyard and the road in an area that has been landscaped. The building is built of roughly coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins, fireplaces and dressings. It is roughly rectangular in plan with 2 small projecting wings, one possibly a porch facing the churchyard and one recorded as facing the village square. The section of N wall is 11m long and stands 4m high and is up to 0.6m wide. It has a small window at the W end, a large opening with a gently arching top and a blocked chimney opening at first floor level. Some of the facing stone is still in place. The E wall is 16m in length and stands to a maximum height of 6m, with the full height of the chimney surviving. The basement level has 4 pointed arched openings, two either side of the central chimney. At ground floor level are 3 pointed arched windows, 2 to the N of the central chimney and 1 to the S. The fireplace is missing from the central chimney, although a hole where it was is present together with the relieving arch. Immediately to the S of the fireplace is a narrow window. A second ruined chimney is located at the S end of the wall, also missing the fireplace but retaining the opening and relieving arch. A second narrow window is located to the S of this chimney. At first floor level the central fireplace survives together with two pointed arch window openings on the S side of the chimney. The SW wall survives as a 3m long stretch, up to 6m high. Putlog holes and fragments of wall plaster survive on the interior of the structure. The building is referred to as the mansion belonging to the Vicar of Magor in 1585 but a possible earlier house on the site may have been linked with the Italian Abbey at Anagni to which Church tithes were granted in 1238. The tithes were subsequently granted to the Cistercian community at Tintern.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval construction techniques and settlement organisation. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques. The building may be part of a larger cluster of monuments and its importance can further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments