This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3061 / 53°18'21"N
Longitude: -3.7529 / 3°45'10"W
OS Eastings: 283296
OS Northings: 380227
OS Grid: SH832802
Mapcode National: GBR 2Z76.9K
Mapcode Global: WH655.B559
Entry Name: Llys Euryn Medieval House, Llandrillo-yn-Rhos
Source ID: 3557
Cadw Legacy ID: DE146
Schedule Class: Domestic
Category: House (domestic)
Community: Rhos-on-Sea (Llandrillo-yn-Rhos)
Built-Up Area: Colwyn Bay
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Medieval house dating to C.15 - C.16. Walls still standing up to C. 4 M. high and form three sides of a square. On west side chimney opening and stack above. Some other openings with facings still survive. Otherwise fairly ruined. Low internal walls.
Substantial ivy grown remains of limestone block walls forming rough square, surviving up to 7 M. high in W. wall. Open on east side except for low traces of walls, butting on to south wall, and tumbled overgrown remains. South wall has at least three inwardly splayed loop windows, one within thickened section of wall next to small fireplace. West wall has central renovated fireplace with a square chimney stack up to 11 M. high set at 45 degree angle to wall. Also two first floor and two ground floor loop windows. At south west and north west corners small garderobes set into stepped out west wall. North wall has small (1.9 M. high and 0.8 M. wide externally) pointed arch doorway, wider internally, with draw-bar hole. Also one small looped window, one possibly originally larger pointed arch window and splayed opening.
The site is of greater antiquity than the ruins. Pennant writes that the house was formerly called Llys Maelgwn Gwynedd, who had a Palace on this spot [6th C.]. Nothing more is heard of Llys Euryn [after association in early 13th C. with Ednyfed Fychan], until there is a reference to its having been burnt in 1409 by Owain Glyn Dwr. How much of the existing shell represents Ednyfed's abode is controversial. Experts consider that his Llys would have been of timber construction on a stone foundation. The portion that remains shows that the building was erected in turbulent times. No window is to be traced - only arrow slits. The sole doorway is a postern on the north. Excavations under the west wall revealed a foundation of rough boulders. Poems by Tudur Penllyn and Gutun Owain liken Bryn Euryn to a castle. Mounds in the turf indicate that a considerably larger area was once covered by buildings. Tudur Penllyn claims that Robin [Ap Gruffudd Goch 15th C.] gave 'Three hundred pounds for a single tower' and that the walls of this 'white image', this 'white mountain' cost £1000.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement and building techniques. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.