This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8655 / 51°51'55"N
Longitude: -3.2293 / 3°13'45"W
OS Eastings: 315449
OS Northings: 219260
OS Grid: SO154192
Mapcode National: GBR YW.SRM2
Mapcode Global: VH6CF.ZC4R
Entry Name: Llangynidr Deserted Medieval Village (part of)
Scheduled Date: 26 June 1984
Source ID: 1805
Cadw Legacy ID: BR187
Schedule Class: Domestic
Category: Deserted Medieval Village
Built-Up Area: Llangynidr
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
The monument comprises the remains of earthworks, platforms and building footings, representing a deserted village, of probable medieval or post-medieval date. The field containing the remains is located on the S side of the village, to the S of the Church and adjacent to Mardy Lane. Within the field are traces of two raised platforms and a series of banked enclosures, and pottery of 13th or 14th century date has been found in the vicinity. Excavations in 2002/2003 by Llangynidr Local History Society revealed that the larger of the two platforms could have been the site of a later, post-medieval, Parsonage.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement. The monument forms an important element within the wider medieval context and the scheduled area may be expected to contain a wide range of archaeological information, including chronological detail and evidence in regard to construction techniques and agricultural methods.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments