This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2315 / 52°13'53"N
Longitude: -3.3857 / 3°23'8"W
OS Eastings: 305460
OS Northings: 260165
OS Grid: SO054601
Mapcode National: GBR YP.1GV4
Mapcode Global: VH69M.85HM
Entry Name: Llandrindod Common Roman Practice Camps
Source ID: 1962
Cadw Legacy ID: RD134
Schedule Class: Defence
Category: Practice camp
Community: Llandrindod Wells (Llandrindod)
Built-Up Area: Llandrindod Wells
Traditional County: Radnorshire
The monument comprises the remains of eight well-preserved Roman practice camps, part of a large group to the south of Llandrindod Wells. The camps were constructed as part of a military training exercise by soldiers, probably stationed at Castell Collen, who paid particular attention to the corners and entrances, which were the most difficult elements to build. The camps are roughly square in shape on plan with rounded corners aligned to the cardinal points of the compass. They were first described in 1811 and since then some of them have been damaged by land improvement and are no longer visible at ground level, though they are sometimes visible from the air, and archaeological deposits may survive in their ditches. Others survive rather better.
Camp A, the most northerly, also known as Llandrindod Common Practice Camp V, lies at SO 0570 6083. It was described in 1811 as being c.20m square with traverses across the entrances, but is no longer clearly visible. Camp B, also known as Llandrindod Common Practice Camp VII, lies c.340m to the south at SO 0565 6047. It is not clearly visible on the ground, but from the air it can be seen to measure c.26m west-north-west to east-south-east by c.25.5m with an entrance on each side. Traverses reported in 1811 are no longer apparent. Camp C, also known as Llandrindod Common Practice Camp VIII, lies c.240m to the south-west at SO 0551 6026. It is not clearly visible on the ground, but from the air it can be seen to measure c.27m square; it was described in 1811 as having four entrances with traverses, but these are no longer apparent. Camp D, also known as Llandrindod Common Practice Camp XI, lies c.140m to the south-west again at SO 0540 6014. It may originally have been c.35m square, but has been truncated on the south by a modern land boundary and trackway. A low spread bank c.0.1m high is visible on the ground, with traces of three entrances including a possible traverse and, in places, of a ditch. Camp E, also known as Llandrindod Common Practice Camp XII, lies c.65m to the south at SO 0542 6007. It was described in 1811 as being c.18m square (though this may be an internal measurement), with four entrances protected by traverses. The eastern part of the camp now lies within a garden and is no longer visible, but the western side can be seen as an intermittent bank c.0.2m high. Camp F, also known as Llandrindod Common Practice Camp XIII, lies c.35m to the south-west at SO 0538 6004. This camp measures c.28m north-north-east to south-south-west by c.27m. It survives best on the west and has been damaged on its eastern corner, but is otherwise visible as a bank standing up to c.0.2m high, with entrance gaps on the north-east, north-west and south-west. Camp G, also known as Llandrindod Common Practice Camp XIV, lies c.30m to the south-west again at SO 0536 6000. This camp measures c.32m west-north-west to east-south-east by c.30m. It survives best on the north-east side, where a bank up to c.0.2m high is visible on the ground; air photographs show clear entrances on the north-west and south-west, and entrances are also likely on the other two sides. Camp H, also known as Llandrindod Common Practice Camp XV, lies c.400m further to the south at SO 0524 5959. Little is visible on the ground, but from the air it is clear that it measures c.31m north-east to south-west by c.29m. The entrances reported in 1811 can just about be made out, though there is no trace of the reported traverses.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of Roman military organisation. The monument forms an important element within the wider context of the Roman occupation of Wales and the structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques, together with a strong probability of environmental evidence. It is of particular value as part of the wider group of practice camps in the area.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments