This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8975 / 52°53'51"N
Longitude: -4.0902 / 4°5'24"W
OS Eastings: 259493
OS Northings: 335389
OS Grid: SH594353
Mapcode National: GBR 5R.PGX2
Mapcode Global: WH55T.4FJJ
Entry Name: Inscribed Stone in Llanfihangel Traethau Churchyard
Source ID: 3423
Cadw Legacy ID: ME050
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Category: Inscribed stone
Traditional County: Merionethshire
This is a narrow pillar of hard, fine-grained stone with an inscription running vertically on all four faces. The Latin inscription is translated by Nash Williams as follows: 'Here is the tomb of Wleder, the mother of Odelau, who first built this church in the time of King Owain.' This dates it to the 12th century (Owain reigned 1137-70). The inscription is still very clear, and there is a possibility that the stone is still in situ.The stone is situated by a corner of the path leading to the church, 12 m from the porch. It stands 1.6 m high and is about 17 cm square in cross-section.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval funerary and religious practises. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structures themselves may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments