This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6688 / 51°40'7"N
Longitude: -3.7512 / 3°45'4"W
OS Eastings: 278994
OS Northings: 198122
OS Grid: SS789981
Mapcode National: GBR H5.615W
Mapcode Global: VH5GN.XBS1
Entry Name: Glyncorrwg Mineral Railway (Parsons Folly) Section on Cefn Morfudd
Scheduled Date: 1 November 1993
Source ID: 314
Cadw Legacy ID: GM447
Schedule Class: Transport
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Neath Port Talbot (Castell-nedd Port Talbot)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument consists of the remains of the Glyncorrwg Mineral Railway (alias 'Parsons' Folly'). It is an outstanding example of the peak of civil engineering reached by horse-operated tramroads. It was built between 1839 and 1841 by William Kirkhouse for Charles Strange and Robert Parsons to carry coal from mines in the Gwenffrwd, Pelenna and Cregan Valleys, seven and a half miles to the Neath Canal at Aberdulais. It fell out of use in 1852. The route across Cefn Morfudd is the best preserved and the most spectacular section. At the northwest end is the massive stone embankment which formed the head of the first of several inclined planes into which are among the largest on any tramroad in Wales, showing the efforts made to create a straight and level line unlike earlier more sinuous routes. Stone sleeper blocks survive in many places. To the south east are remains of the railway's only steam operated inclined plane (the other six being gravity operated), which brought loaded waggons up from Cwm Gwenffrwd; the base of the engine house for a high pressure engine made at Neath Abbey Ironworks, its reservoir, and the cutting at the incline head. The scheduled area also includes three low dams cut by the railway which controlled water for the Melincryddan Copperworks (established in 1695).
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the development of industrial transportation in the 18th and 19th century. The track bed, bridges, drainage systems, embankments and revetments may all be expected to contain archaeological information in regard to construction techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments