This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7857 / 52°47'8"N
Longitude: -3.8715 / 3°52'17"W
OS Eastings: 273883
OS Northings: 322542
OS Grid: SH738225
Mapcode National: GBR 61.XG22
Mapcode Global: WH56H.H7NR
Entry Name: Glasdir Copper and Gold Mine Mill
Scheduled Date: 30 August 2001
Source ID: 1067
Cadw Legacy ID: ME206
Schedule Class: Industrial
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The monument consists of the remains of a mill, a factory used for processing raw materials. Glasdir Copper and Gold Mine was worked from the 1850s to 1915 and its large, stepped ore processing mill on the hillside was developed from the 1850s onwards. The mill complex is an impressive group of structures and includes remains of Frazer and Chalmers concentrating units, Elmore concentrators and crushers, water channels and railways. Frank Elmore's oil flotation system for separating copper pyrite from ore, patented in 1898, was first put into use at Glasdir, and now continues in use world-wide in metalliferous mills.
The monument is an exceptionally well preserved metal mine mill site, where a process of major significance was first used. It is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of manufacturing techniques and processes. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information concerning chronology and building techniques.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments