This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3532 / 52°21'11"N
Longitude: -3.879 / 3°52'44"W
OS Eastings: 272120
OS Northings: 274452
OS Grid: SN721744
Mapcode National: GBR 91.STVB
Mapcode Global: VH4FV.Q35W
Entry Name: Fron Goch Lead Mine
Scheduled Date: 26 September 1986
Source ID: 1896
Cadw Legacy ID: CD146
Schedule Class: Industrial
Category: Lead mine
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
The monument comprises the substantial remains of a lead mine including ruined stone rubble buildings, spoil heaps, its water-management and transport systems, extraction and dressing processes with their power systems. It was first leased in 1759. There was a shaft on site before John Taylor and the Lisburne Mines Co took over in 1834. He installed a steam engine for winding and crushing the ore in 1841 but the cost of carrying coal from Aberystwyth made this uneconomic and the mine reverted to a waterwheel. Two more steam engines were installed for pumping and for winding in 1863, but these were again short lived. A Belgian Company took over in 1899 and installed new electrically driven machinery, but production ceased in 1910.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance and illustrate our knowledge and understanding of mining technology from a single period. Lead mines may be part of a larger cluster of industrial monuments and their importance can be further enhanced by their group value.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments