Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fairbourne Anti-invasion Defences

A Scheduled Monument in Arthog, Gwynedd

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6983 / 52°41'53"N

Longitude: -4.0571 / 4°3'25"W

OS Eastings: 261085

OS Northings: 313165

OS Grid: SH610131

Mapcode National: GBR 8S.35QC

Mapcode Global: WH56S.NF7R

Entry Name: Fairbourne Anti-invasion Defences

Scheduled Date: 12 December 2007

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1175

Cadw Legacy ID: ME252

Schedule Class: Defence

Category: Anti-invasion defence site

Period: Post Medieval/Modern

County: Gwynedd

Community: Arthog

Built-Up Area: Fairbourne

Traditional County: Merionethshire

Description

The monument consists of anti-invasion defences, dating to the early period of World War II (AD 1940-41), that formed part of Western Command's coastal crust defences. The defences are aligned N-S to defend a flat area of salt marsh and the gently shelving beach. They are located on the top of Fairbourne beach immediately in front of the sea wall. The monument consists of at least 650 concrete anti-tank blocks arranged in a single and almost unbroken line c. 2.3km in length, punctuated at regular intervals by at least four Type 24 pillboxes.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of World War II anti-invasion practices. The monument is well preserved and is an important relic of actions taken against the perceived threat of a German invasion from Ireland. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits.

The area scheduled comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is linear and measures 2.3km in length by 5m transversely. It follows, but does not include, the W edge of the seawall. The N end is at NGR SH 61065 14309 and the S end at SH 61100 12026. The scheduled area is interrupted for 15m S of SH 61046 13610 for utility services, 6m S of SH 61138 12640 for an access ramp and 4m S of SH 61142 12554 for a second access ramp.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.