This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1866 / 52°11'11"N
Longitude: -4.1729 / 4°10'22"W
OS Eastings: 251553
OS Northings: 256486
OS Grid: SN515564
Mapcode National: GBR DM.4CLM
Mapcode Global: VH3K0.M9BL
Entry Name: Defended Enclosure 350m E of Bank Green Grove
Scheduled Date: 2 September 2009
Source ID: 1256
Cadw Legacy ID: CD272
Schedule Class: Defence
Community: Llanfihangel Ystrad
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
The monument, also known as Pen-y-Gaer, comprises the remains of an elongated earthwork defended enclosure and annexe, which probably date to the Iron Age period (c. 800 BC - AD 43). It is located on the summit of a prominent NE-SW aligned ridge above steep NW- and SE-facing slopes. The main enclosure is rectangular in shape and measures 120m NE-SW by a maximum of 50m transversely. A spread bank of shale defends the SW end and measures 0.5m in height and 6m in width. There are slight traces of an outer ditch. The bank at the NE end is similarly defended, but the ditch survives in better condition, measuring 0.5m in depth and 6m in width. The defensive circuit on the NW and SE sides is marked by sharp breaks in slope. Internally, two terraces cut into the S-facing slope may represent house platforms. The sub-rectangular annexe lies immediately to the NE of the main enclosure and measures 60m NW-SE by 55m transversely. It is defined by sharp breaks in slope on the NW and SE sides, and a well-preserved bank on the NE side. The bank measures 2m in height externally and 5m in width. Slight traces of the outer ditch survive.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of later prehistoric defensive organisation and settlement. The site forms an important element within the wider later prehistoric context and within the surrounding landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and an area around within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is roughly rectangular in shape on plan and measures 235m NE-SW by 115m transversely.
Other nearby scheduled monuments