This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6089 / 51°36'32"N
Longitude: -2.7376 / 2°44'15"W
OS Eastings: 349018
OS Northings: 190265
OS Grid: ST490902
Mapcode National: GBR JJ.9XRP
Mapcode Global: VH87S.HTLH
Entry Name: Crick Medieval House
Scheduled Date: 12 November 1947
Source ID: 590
Cadw Legacy ID: MM053
Schedule Class: Domestic
Category: House (domestic)
County: Monmouthshire (Sir Fynwy)
Community: Caerwent (Caer-went)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The monument comprises the remains of medieval hall. It dates from the late 15th century when it was constructed as a part of a hall and cross-wing house. In the 17th century the cross-wing section of the house was extended by the addition of a new range, and the hall was downgraded to a secondary house with the windows partially blocked up. It was subsequently used as a barn. The scheduled section of the medieval house, the hall, comprises a rectangular building constructed from roughly coursed stone with a modern roof of terracotta tiles. It is two storeys high, with an undercroft below the hall. There is a single entrance to the undercroft, and a two light window, all of which post-date the construction of the hall. There are three entrances to the hall, one of which is blocked. There are late 16th century 4-light mullion and transom windows on each of the exterior walls of the hall, two of which are partially bricked up and one is completely blocked. At ground level on the W wall is the base of a vertical shaft under a large stone lintel, which is thought to be a garderobe shaft. The hall house was probably built to replace the original manor house that stood on the moated site to the N (MM051), and was built by the Moore family. The house is recorded as hosting King Charles I on the 22nd and 24th July 1645, during the English Civil War
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval secular architecture. The monument is a well-preserved example of its type and forms an important element within the wider medieval context. The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information in regard to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments