Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Craig y Gwbert Defended Enclosure

A Scheduled Monument in Y Ferwig, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.1196 / 52°7'10"N

Longitude: -4.6911 / 4°41'27"W

OS Eastings: 215856

OS Northings: 250223

OS Grid: SN158502

Mapcode National: GBR CY.8P2D

Mapcode Global: VH2MG.MZWJ

Entry Name: Craig y Gwbert Defended Enclosure

Scheduled Date: 30 May 2008

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 1261

Cadw Legacy ID: CD274

Schedule Class: Defence

Category: Promontory Fort - coastal

Period: Prehistoric

County: Ceredigion

Community: Y Ferwig

Traditional County: Cardiganshire


The monument comprises the remains of a strongly defended promontory fort, which probably dates to the Iron Age period (c. 800 BC - AD 43). It is located on a cliff-girt promontory of land on the E side of the mouth of the River Teifi. The enclosure encompasses the entire promontory and measures 145m NNE-SSW by 95m transversely. It is only accessible via a narrow neck of land, which is defended by a substantial earthen bank measuring 2.5m in height, 40m in length and 5m in width. The entrance is a simple 2m wide gap through the bank. A rock-cut ditch measuring 5m in width has been excavated in front of the bank on either side of a central causeway, with a counter-scarp bank measuring 1m in height beyond. Sea cliffs defend the remainder of the enclosure's circumference. Erosion of the topsoil on the exposed W side of the promontory has revealed a number of rock-cut post holes. An early nineteenth-century lime kiln has been built into the outer face of the bank to the S side of the entrance. It is oval is shape and aligned N-S. It measures 3.25m in height, 7.25m in length and 5m in width. The kiln is built from rubble stone and possesses a tapering triangular-shaped kiln eye on the N and S sides. Each kiln eye measures 2.45m in height and a maximum of 2.1m in width. The crucible has been infilled.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of later prehistoric defensive organisation and settlement. The site forms an important element within the wider later prehistoric context and within the surrounding landscape. The lime kiln can be expected to preserve information relating to the industry and economy of the nineteenth-century. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, building techniques and functional detail.

The scheduled area comprises the remains described and an area around within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is an irregular polygon in shape on plan and measures 145m NNE-SSW by 95m transversely.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.