This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4641 / 51°27'50"N
Longitude: -3.3189 / 3°19'8"W
OS Eastings: 308472
OS Northings: 174726
OS Grid: ST084747
Mapcode National: GBR HR.LV6F
Mapcode Global: VH6FB.FG8H
Entry Name: Cottrell Ringwork
Source ID: 2244
Cadw Legacy ID: GM096
Schedule Class: Defence
County: Vale of Glamorgan (Bro Morgannwg)
Community: St. Nicholas and Bonvilston (Sain Nicolas a Thresimwn)
Built-Up Area: St Nicholas
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The monument comprises the remains of a well preserved castle-ringwork which dates to the medieval period (c. AD 1066 - 1485). The ringwork stands on the summit of a small hill, with panoramic views all round. The ground falls away on all sides, but less steeply to the south. The site consists of a flat-topped mound 2-2.5m high, with a discontinuous external ditch. The sides of the mound and the ditch are steep. The top of the mound is flat and 48m in diameter. There is no bank on the perimeter to the north, and a negligible one on the east. On the east and north-east it is c. 1m high. On the south side the bank is c. 2m high, with a 2m wide gap in the middle which connects a causeway of similar width across the ditch. A trig point stands on the south bank.
On the exterior, on the north side, it is 2.5m high and there is no ditch. On the north-east side a ditch appears, c. 2m wide and 1m deep. The ditch continues for a bit along the east side and then stops. The side of the mound is 2.2m high on this side. On the south side the ditch begins again, 2m wide and 1.5m deep. The side is 2.5m high. In the middle of this side a 2m wide causeway crosses the ditch. West of the causeway the ditch is at its deepest and steepest: 1.8m high on the outside, with the side of the mound 2.8m high. On the west side the mound is 2.2m high and the ditch continues but becomes much shallower: 1.5m wide and 0.5m deep.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement, organisation and defence. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. It is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments