Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coed y Cwm Ringwork

A Scheduled Monument in St. Nicholas and Bonvilston (Sain Nicolas a Thresimwn), Vale of Glamorgan (Bro Morgannwg)

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4546 / 51°27'16"N

Longitude: -3.3215 / 3°19'17"W

OS Eastings: 308277

OS Northings: 173675

OS Grid: ST082736

Mapcode National: GBR HR.MM7R

Mapcode Global: VH6FB.CPXR

Entry Name: Coed y Cwm Ringwork

Scheduled Date:

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 2246

Cadw Legacy ID: GM117

Schedule Class: Defence

Category: Ringwork

Period: Medieval

County: Vale of Glamorgan (Bro Morgannwg)

Community: St. Nicholas and Bonvilston (Sain Nicolas a Thresimwn)

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Description

The monument comprises the remains of a well preserved castle-ringwork, which dates to the medieval period (c. AD 1066 - 1485).

The site is situated on flat ground overlooking a small valley to the north-east, in a wood. It consists of a circular bank with external ditch. The interior is flat. On the north and west sides the ditch is 2m wide, with a flat bottom, and 1m high externally, 1.5 m high internally. There is no bank outside the ditch, and the bank on the inside is c. 0.5 m high. On the west side is a causeway 6 m wide across the ditch. On the south side the bank is higher - 2 m high externally and 0.7 m internally. On the east side the ground outside the ringwork slopes away to the valley, and there is a bank outside the ditch 5 m wide and 1 m high, with a berm outside it 1.5 m wide and 0.6 m high. The main bank is 2 m high externally and 0.6 m high internally along this side. The external bank stops at the north end where the ringwork curves around to the west, away from the slope. Half-way along the east side is a narrow gap, 1 m wide, through both banks.

The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval settlement, organisation and defence. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. It is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.

The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.

Source: Cadw

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.