This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0013 / 52°0'4"N
Longitude: -4.9705 / 4°58'13"W
OS Eastings: 196193
OS Northings: 237813
OS Grid: SM961378
Mapcode National: GBR CK.J5RH
Mapcode Global: VH1QF.SYNQ
Entry Name: Castle Point Old Fort
Source ID: 3551
Cadw Legacy ID: PE096
Schedule Class: Defence
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
County: Pembrokeshire (Sir Benfro)
Community: Fishguard and Goodwick (Abergwaun ac Wdig)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Also known as Fishguard Fort, Castle Point Old Fort stands on a headland overlooking the bay at Goodwick. The monument comprises the stone and earth remains of a defensive fort which was constructed in the late 18th century in response to the town being bombarded by the privateer Black Prince. Famously, the only action it saw was the firing of its guns in an attempt to scare off the French during the invasion of 1797. A stone archway leads into the interior of the fort, where four cannon are mounted on wooden stands. A rectangular vaulted stone building to the west is still in reasonable repair. Seaward, a rock-cut ditch separates the fort from the steep coastal slope. It is a popular visitor attraction.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to inform us about the construction, layout and use of Napoleonic forts. Its association with the 'Last Invasion' of 1797 adds to its significance.
The Scheduled Area measures approximately 72m NW-SE and 70m NE-SW. It is an irregular shape, encompassing the whole of the headland.
Other nearby scheduled monuments