This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5665 / 51°33'59"N
Longitude: -3.0087 / 3°0'31"W
OS Eastings: 330180
OS Northings: 185776
OS Grid: ST301857
Mapcode National: GBR J5.DFX7
Mapcode Global: VH7BC.SWSH
Entry Name: Castell Glas Castle Mound
Source ID: 2414
Cadw Legacy ID: MM190
Schedule Class: Defence
County: Newport (Casnewydd)
Community: Gaer (Y Gaer)
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The monument comprises the remains of a motte and ditch, dating to the medieval period (c. 1066 -1540 AD). A motte is a large rectangular mound of soil and/or stone, usually surrounded by either a wet or dry ditch, and surmounted by a tower constructed of timber or stone. The earth mound is about 1.5m high and 35m by 25m in size.
Little is known of its history, but it was sold in 1622 and by 1645 was said to have “disappeared”. In the later Middle Ages, the castle belonged to the Earls of Lancaster and when Coxe visited it in 1800. The remains included a range of medieval stone buildings such as, a square tower and a possible hall block with a “fine Gothic entrance”, a “large fireplace” and “several Gothic doors”.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits. The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments