This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6526 / 51°39'9"N
Longitude: -2.8469 / 2°50'48"W
OS Eastings: 341503
OS Northings: 195203
OS Grid: ST415952
Mapcode National: GBR JD.70L3
Mapcode Global: VH7B2.LQSJ
Entry Name: Cas Troggy Castle
Scheduled Date: 11 January 1926
Source ID: 2960
Cadw Legacy ID: MM015
Schedule Class: Defence
County: Monmouthshire (Sir Fynwy)
Community: Shirenewton (Drenewydd Gelli-farch)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The monument consists of the remains of a castle, dating to the medieval period. The surviving remains comprise a rectangular platform measuring 42m N/S by 27m E/W set on low ground close to a stream. It is surrounded by a moat, 15m wide on the W side and 10m wide on the N side. Along the S side of the site are the substantial remains of the castle wall, with towers at the SW and SE corners. At the W end the tower stands on a 4m high mound, and the upstanding wall is 3m high with some dressed stone still in place. To the E of the tower the wall stands 6-7m high and still retains some dressed stone, although predominately it is the rubble core of the wall that is visible. There are two large arched windows surviving, although the wall between them is much eroded. The wall decreases in height towards the E end, standing to 2-3m high, and most of the dressed stone has been lost. At the E end of the wall are the roofless remains of a corner tower. It is round in plan, 3.5m high, with all the facing stone missing. The interior of the tower is polygonal in plan and at the N end is an arched entrance 3m high and 1.5m wide. The entrance leads into a passage that is 4m long and has an E-facing arm which ends in a blocked entrance. At the S end of the entrance passage are two rectangular holes in the roof. The castle was built in the early 14th century by Roger Bigod III, Earl of Norfolk, as a hunting lodge. It is mentioned in 1305, as a newly built tower, but was probably incomplete when he died in 1306.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive
Other nearby scheduled monuments