This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7629 / 51°45'46"N
Longitude: -3.0592 / 3°3'33"W
OS Eastings: 326998
OS Northings: 207671
OS Grid: SO269076
Mapcode National: GBR J3.0179
Mapcode Global: VH79C.XYLD
Entry Name: Capel Newydd, Blaenavon (site of)
Scheduled Date: 18 July 1997
Source ID: 3876
Cadw Legacy ID: MM212
Schedule Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
County: Torfaen (Tor-faen)
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The monument comprises the remains of a small late medieval chapel. It served Llanover and was demolished in 1863 after Blaenavon became an ecclesiastical parish. The first documentary reference to the chapel was in 1577 and a stone in the churchyard bore the date of 1736. It was described in the 19th century as a little rectangular chapel measuring 9.7m by 4.9m, standing within a squarish stone walled enclosure with two small windows in its south wall and a little western porch. The site now consists of rectangular turf grown foundations within traces of a rectangular enclosure. A small nineteenth century cross on steps mark the site of the high altar.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of the organisation and practice of medieval Christianity. The site forms an important element within the wider medieval landscape. The site is well preserved and retains considerable archaeological potential. There is a strong probability of the presence of evidence relating to chronology, layout, building techniques and functional detail.
The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.
Other nearby scheduled monuments