This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7036 / 52°42'13"N
Longitude: -3.8492 / 3°50'56"W
OS Eastings: 275152
OS Northings: 313379
OS Grid: SH751133
Mapcode National: GBR 92.2NYF
Mapcode Global: WH56W.V97N
Entry Name: Anti-invasion Defences 2000m NE of Cwmrhwyddfor Farm
Scheduled Date: 14 August 2006
Source ID: 1174
Cadw Legacy ID: ME251
Schedule Class: Defence
Category: Anti-tank Obstacle
Period: Post Medieval/Modern
Traditional County: Merionethshire
The monument consists of anti-invasion defences, dating to the early period of World War II (AD 1940-41), that formed part of Western Command Stop Line No. 21, which ran from Rhyl to Machynlleth. The defences are located on the Cwm Rhywddfor pass on the A487 trunk road between Cross Foxes and Corris, where the local topography forms a steep-sided, narrow and easily defended gorge. They are aligned NW-SE and defend an upward position to the NE. The structure consists of three in situ anti-tank cubes built of concrete and faced with local stone and an associated roadblock on the verge to the S side of the road. The anti-tank cubes are irregular in shape and measure on average 1.4m NW-SE, 1.8m NE-SW and 1.6m tall. The roadblock consists of bent Rolled Steel Joists embedded into the ground.
The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of World War II anti-invasion practices. The monument is well preserved and is an important relic of actions taken against the perceived threat of a German invasion from Ireland. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological features and deposits.
The area scheduled comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive. It is rectangular and measures 26m NE-SW by 18m transversely.
Other nearby scheduled monuments