Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle Campbell

A Scheduled Monument in Clackmannanshire East, Clackmannanshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1749 / 56°10'29"N

Longitude: -3.6747 / 3°40'28"W

OS Eastings: 296124

OS Northings: 699290

OS Grid: NS961992

Mapcode National: GBR 1P.GVTH

Mapcode Global: WH5Q8.J2C2

Entry Name: Castle Campbell

Scheduled Date: 2 December 2015

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM13611

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: castle

Location: Dollar

County: Clackmannanshire

Electoral Ward: Clackmannanshire East

Traditional County: Clackmannanshire

Description

The monument comprises Castle Campbell and an area around it where buried evidence of associated defences, buildings and gardens is expected to survive. The castle is the product of several periods of development dating to between about AD 1200 to 1600, and is visible as three ranges of upstanding buildings set around the N, E and S sides of a courtyard. The tower occupies a highly prominent position on a rocky spur of the Ochil Hills at the head of Dollar Glen. It is cut off from the E, W and S by the ravines of the Burn of Sorrow and Burn of Care. It stands about 200m above sea level, looking out over Dollar and the Forth Valley.

The N range contains the earliest fabric and derives from a massive rectangular tower-house constructed between the later 14th and mid-15th centuries. The tower-house is a roofed building with four main storeys plus a garret. The ground floor, 1st floor and 3rd floor are vaulted with barrel vaults, while the 2nd and 3rd floors are divided by a wooden floor resting on corbels. The 3rd floor vault is a secondary insertion. The walls are 2.3m thick. The first floor hall measures 8.5m E-W by 4.9m transversely. The tower-house stands on a rounded mound which resembles a motte and is potentially the core of an earlier timber castle. The S side of the courtyard is occupied by a hall and chamber range in a style indicating construction around 1500. The E range has a ground floor loggia and upper floor galleries built around 1600, but incorporates an earlier building. The terraced garden to the S may also date to around 1600.

The scheduled area is irregular on plan, to include the remains of the castle and an area around it within which evidence for the castle's construction, use and abandonment is expected to survive, as shown in red on the accompanying map. The scheduling excludes the above-ground elements of all modern structures, fixtures and fittings, including modern fences, signage, electrical apparatus, lighting, stairs and walkways, barriers, and kitchen fittings. The monument was last scheduled in 1950; the present amendment provides documents to modern standards.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument has considerable potential to add significantly to understanding of medieval and post-medieval domestic fortified dwellings, their architecture, construction, maintenance, development and abandonment. The upstanding buildings retain their structural and decorative characteristics to a marked degree, incorporating many significant architectural features. The monument is particularly important for demonstrating the development of a castle from early keep to later courtyard castle and Renaissance residence. There is also high potential for the survival of important buried archaeological evidence, including traces of a potential motte and bailey castle of earlier date and artefacts and palaeoenvironmental evidence that can enhance our understanding of the daily domestic life of the inhabitants and their society and economy. The monument would have been a highly prominent part of the contemporary landscape during its occupation and remains a significant landmark in the modern landscape. Because of the prominence of its owners, particularly the Campbells, there is rich potential for documentary records to add to understanding of the castle and its functions. Our understanding of the form, function and character of castles in eastern Scotland would be diminished if this monument was to be lost or damaged. Castles have a significant place in the national consciousness and Castle Campbell is visited and valued by large numbers of people.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as NS99NE 2. The record includes a full bibliography.
Historic Environment Scotland Properties
Castle Campbell
https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/castle-campbell
Find out more
Related Designations


CASTLE CAMPBELLGDL00089
Designation TypeGarden & Designed LandscapeStatusDesignated

Canmore

https://canmore.org.uk/site/48229/

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.