Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nevay Church, church and burial ground, Kirkinch

A Scheduled Monument in Kirriemuir and Dean, Angus

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5838 / 56°35'1"N

Longitude: -3.1212 / 3°7'16"W

OS Eastings: 331230

OS Northings: 744109

OS Grid: NO312441

Mapcode National: GBR VF.RBWK

Mapcode Global: WH6PK.1S03

Entry Name: Nevay Church, church and burial ground, Kirkinch

Scheduled Date: 26 November 1971

Last Amended: 22 February 2017

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM3002

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Ecclesiastical: burial ground, cemetery, graveyard

Location: Eassie and Nevay

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Kirriemuir and Dean

Traditional County: Angus

Description

The monument comprises the remains of Nevay Church and its burial ground. Most of the standing structure dates to the later 16th century but the church and burial ground are medieval in origin. The church sits on a raised yard which is approximately oval on plan. The monument lies about 60m above sea level on the floor of Strathmore, some 150m east of the Kirkinch Burn.

The church is rectangular, measuring approximately 17m east-west by 6m transversely, and built in coursed rubble mostly of red and grey sandstone. The gables stand to full height and the north and south walls to around 1m and 2m high respectively. A round-headed door and small round-arched window in the west gable may be of medieval date, perhaps relocated to their present positions. Two entrances, both blocked by tombstones, pierce the south wall. The lintel of the westernmost doorway bears the date of 1695 and is blocked by a tombstone dated 1597. Several gravestone and architectural fragments have been re-located within the gravelled interior of the church.

The scheduled area is roughly oval on plan to include the remains described above. The scheduling extends up to but excludes the boundary walls. The scheduling specifically excludes the top 300mm of all paths and grassed areas; all burial lairs where rights of burial still exist; and all memorial stones dating to later than 1850. The monument was last scheduled in 1993, but the scheduling did not include the burial ground: the present amendment rectifies this.

 

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

This monument is of national importance because of its inherent potential to make a significant addition to our understanding of church sites in Scotland. The upstanding church retains several significant architectural features and may preserve the plan form and some of the fabric of a medieval church. Records of Early Christian carved stone fragments suggest the site was first used for burial around the middle of the first Millenium AD. There is high potential for the presence of well-preserved archaeological remains that can make a significant contribution to our understanding of the date and development of parish churches in the region. Further, it is probable that a number of graves remain in situ, with high potential to enhance our knowledge of status and burial practice, potentially over an extended period which saw major devotional changes. The monument's significance is enhanced by the capacity to compare it with other early church sites in Angus, many of which have similar raised curvilinear yards, and to relate the church to the medieval settlement pattern. The loss of the monument would significantly diminish our ability to appreciate and understand the construction and development of early churches in east Scotland and their role in medieval society and in the organisation of the medieval Church.

 

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Historic Environment Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 32154 and CANMORE ID 32155 (accessed 25/04/2016).

Angus Sites and Monuments Record: https://online.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/smrpub/master/default.aspx?Authority=Angus ref NO34SW0001 (accessed 25/04/2016)

A Corpus of Scottish Medieval Parish Churches: http://arts.st-andrews.ac.uk/corpusofscottishchurches/site.php?id=158800 (accessed 25/04/2016)

MacGibbon, D and Ross, T 1896-7 The ecclesiastical architecture of Scotland from the earliest Christian times to the seventeenth century , 3v, Edinburgh, 3, 560-2.

Macdonald, A D S and Laing, L R 1973 Early ecclesiastical sites in Scotland: a field survey, part II , Proc Soc Antiq Scot 102, 140.

RCAHMS 1984 The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. The archaeological sites and monuments of central Angus, 2 (medieval

Canmore

https://canmore.org.uk/site/32154/

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.