Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Touch Muir,dun

A Scheduled Monument in Forth and Endrick, Stirling

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1036 / 56°6'12"N

Longitude: -4.0524 / 4°3'8"W

OS Eastings: 272444

OS Northings: 691989

OS Grid: NS724919

Mapcode National: GBR 17.MFKW

Mapcode Global: WH4P4.QVH9

Entry Name: Touch Muir,dun

Scheduled Date: 18 April 1962

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM2243

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric domestic and defensive: dun

Location: St Ninians

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Forth and Endrick

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Description

Begun circa 1825. Nos 231-233 redeveloped behind facade. Symmetrical block of terraced classical houses between Blythswood Street and Douglas Street. 2 and 3 storeys and basement. Ashlar, (No 239 stuccoed), rusticated at ground floor with voussoired window lintels, droved ashlar basement. Centre and end houses 3-storeys, remainder 2-storey except storey added to No 223; 3 bays each house. Entries at heads of steps oversailing basement area, Roman Doric columned porticos, paired except at E end; Nos 225 and 227 altered to double entry with Gibbs surround architraves and continuous cornice. Double entry pilastered doorpiece at W house. Architraves and cornices 1st floor with apron panels, consoled cornices to 3-storey blocks, also with pedimented central window at 1st floor. Eaves cornice, mutule at 3-storey blocks, and blocking course.

Blythswood Street elevation: 5 bays to original; 2nd from N blank except in basement; same detailing as to St Vincent Street. 4 later bays to left respecting floor levels and masonry finishes, but with bipartite and canted windows in outer bays, and mansard roof.

Douglas Street elevation: 3 bays continuing main elevation detailing.

Interiors: include cast-iron staircase balusters. No 233 with Elgin marbles plaster-cast frieze in hall; also by C R Mackintosh, main door, and hall and lobby to rear, in which doors, panelling, roof trusses all display Mackintosh style.

1989: No 229 redeveloped behind facade. Mackintosh trusses from No 233 are reused in the new rear building at this number.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.