Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glenmucklach,standing stone,Knockstapple

A Scheduled Monument in South Kintyre, Argyll and Bute

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3519 / 55°21'6"N

Longitude: -5.6254 / 5°37'31"W

OS Eastings: 170266

OS Northings: 612416

OS Grid: NR702124

Mapcode National: IRL Y4.1DPB

Mapcode Global: GBR DGHK.N1G

Entry Name: Glenmucklach,standing stone,Knockstapple

Scheduled Date: 15 October 1936

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM205

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric ritual and funerary: standing stone

Location: Southend

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: South Kintyre

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Description

A 2-storey, 3-bay asymmetric Italianate villa, which dates to around 1874 and is situated within its own grounds with an advanced left bay. The building is of coursed sandstone with painted ashlar margins and has a deep base course. Some of the windows have moulded architraves. The principal elevation is to the east and has centrally placed steps which lead to a segmental-arched, flat-roofed entrance porch which is supported on capitals with foliate decoration. The entrance door is timber panelled. The advanced bay to the left has canted bay windows to each storey. There is a shallow projecting tripartite window to the right with outer piers and slender inner shafts with foliated capitals. Three of the upper storey windows are segmental-arched with foliated capital shafts. There are broad projecting eaves with paired brackets and a simple cornice.

In accordance with Section 1 (4A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 the following are excluded from the listing: the single storey courtyard buildings to the north.

The windows are mainly timber sash and case with plate-glass glazing. The piended platform roof has grey slates and end chimney stacks with decorative cans.

The interior was seen in 2016. There is a largely 19th century room layout and a shallow-tread dog-leg stair with a timber handrail and metal balusters and with ball newels. The main public rooms and hall have decorative cornicing and ceiling roses.

There is a brick walled garden to the west of the house with curved coping and with openings to the north and east walls.

There is a single span iron bridge to the south of the house with splayed ends. The balustrade is elaborately detailed and has colonettes and cusped arches. The outer ends have stone plinths with tall lamp-posts.

Two pairs of unusual octagonal painted stone gatepiers lie at the west northwest entrance. One pair is taller that the other and they have panelled heads and pagoda-type caps.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.