Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caledonian Canal,Loch Oich to Cullochy Lock

A Scheduled Monument in Caol and Mallaig, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.0946 / 57°5'40"N

Longitude: -4.742 / 4°44'31"W

OS Eastings: 233971

OS Northings: 803736

OS Grid: NH339037

Mapcode National: GBR G9NZ.4NM

Mapcode Global: WH2FQ.4Y53

Entry Name: Caledonian Canal,Loch Oich to Cullochy Lock

Scheduled Date: 30 August 1996

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6495

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Industrial: inland water

Location: Boleskine and Abertarff

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Caol and Mallaig

Traditional County: Inverness-shire

Description

The monument comprises that stretch of inland waterway known as the Caledonian Canal running from Loch Oich north-eastward to Cullochy Lock.

The area to be scheduled includes all the canal in water and the strip of ground extending up to 20m from the water on either side and containing the towpaths and embankments and any associated capstans, bollards, mooring hooks, mile posts, weirs and overflows.

The scheduled area also includes the abutments belonging to the former accommodation swing bridge to the north of the road swing bridge at Aberchalder, but excludes that road swing bridge as well as all modern moorings, pontoons, slipways, walls and fences, power cables, lampposts and other street furniture. The scheduled area is marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as being a major component of the Caledonian Canal, built between 1803 and 1822. The canal was designed by the famous Scottish civil engineer Thomas Telford and financed directly by Government. At the opening ceremony it was described as 'one of the most stupendous undertakings of that nature which Europe had seen'; it certainly was then, and remains today, the single largest construction work in the Highlands.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

References:

Cameron, A. D. (1994) The Caledonian Canal.

Lindsay, J. (1968) The Canals of Scotland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.