Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Corrieyairack Pass,military road,Connachie Burn to Culachy

A Scheduled Monument in Aird and Loch Ness, Highland

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 57.1132 / 57°6'47"N

Longitude: -4.6907 / 4°41'26"W

OS Eastings: 237158

OS Northings: 805683

OS Grid: NH371056

Mapcode National: GBR G9SX.Q3K

Mapcode Global: WH2FQ.XGHT

Entry Name: Corrieyairack Pass,military road,Connachie Burn to Culachy

Scheduled Date: 14 December 1994

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM6143

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Secular: road

Location: Boleskine and Abertarff

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Aird and Loch Ness

Traditional County: Inverness-shire


The monument consists of a length of military road approximately 1km long, running between Connachie Burn in the S and Culachy House in the N, part of the road built between Dalwhinnie and Fort Augustus in 1731 under the direction of General Wade.

By 1730, the military roads from Dunkeld to Inverness and along the Great Glen were complete, and in order to link Fort Augustus directly to the first of these, a road was planned, running partly along the upper Spey valley and climbing to 800m at the Corrieyairack Pass to cross the watershed. The new road was 45km long; work was started in April 1731 and completed by the end of that October, at a cost of L3281 4s 9d. Some 17.5km of this road remains unmetalled.

The intention was to construct the road of layers of rammed stones, with large stones at the bottom, topped by smaller ones, to a depth of over a metre. In stretches with firm subsoil, however, this is likely to have been reduced. In places can be seen patches of flat stone cobbles, which may be remains of the original surface, but for much of its length the road is likely to have been surfaced with gravel. Wherever the terrain allowed the road was flanked by a ditch on the uphill side (and in parts on the downhill side) and a further uphill ditch appears in some places, either parallel to or in place of the roadside ditch, approximately 8m from the edge of the road.

The road was abandoned north of Laggan in 1830, and thereafter the route reverted to its former use as a drove road.

The area to be scheduled measures 30m wide, centred on the road bed of the military road, running between Connachie Burn and a point 450m SW of Culachy House, as marked in red on the accompanying map, but excludes the modern structure of the bridge over the Connachie Burn. It includes the road, its associated ditches, and an area which may contain evidence for their construction and use.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as part of the longest continuous stretch of military road built under the direction of General Wade to be substantially unaffected by modern alterations. Wade's roads were the first constructed roads of any length in the Scottish Highlands and formed the first planned post-Roman road system in Britain.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland



RCAHMS records the monument as NH30NE 21.0.


Taylor W 1976, The Military Roads in Scotland, Newton Abbot.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.