Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hevdas, fort, Gulberwick

A Scheduled Monument in Lerwick South, Shetland Islands

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 60.1283 / 60°7'41"N

Longitude: -1.1918 / 1°11'30"W

OS Eastings: 445003

OS Northings: 1138465

OS Grid: HU450384

Mapcode National: GBR R1DZ.4K0

Mapcode Global: XHD3C.WPRC

Entry Name: The Hevdas, fort, Gulberwick

Scheduled Date: 14 December 1999

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM8427

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric domestic and defensive: fort (includes hill and promontory fort)

Location: Lerwick

County: Shetland Islands

Electoral Ward: Lerwick South

Traditional County: Shetland

Description

The monument comprises the remains of a promontory fort, probably of later prehistoric date.

The monument occupies the point of a cliffed headland called The (or Da) Hevdas. Part of the remains appears to have been lost to marine erosion. A low mound of earth and stones is flanked by a bank and possible rock-cut ditch. Where this mound is cut by the top of the cliff it shows drystone walling and occupation deposits (including late prehistoric pottery) in section.

There is a small subsidiary mound immediately to the E. A few metres to the north, an earthern bank runs inland from the E cliff edge for about 10m and then swings to run NW for about 30m before merging with the hillside. The hillside to the immediate NE of the N end of the bank has been quarried. The result is a flat, lowered area to the NE of the bank, which may be a defensive ditch.

It is, however, possible that the flat area and the N part of the bank is a more recent product of quarrying, although the bank appears to be continuous with that flanking the prehistoric mound. Two low banks run from the larger bank across to the cliff on the W side, but are probably of more recent date.

The site is best interpreted as the remains of an Iron Age fort which has been modified by later stone quarrying.

The area to be scheduled is irregular on plan, bounded by the clifftop to E, S and SW, and elsewhere by a line drawn parallel to, and 5m from, a fenceline. This includes all of the remains described, measures a maximum of 80m approximately N-S by a maximum of 45m E-W, and is marked in red on the accompanying map extract.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance as the remains of a later prehistoric fort, with potential to provide information about Iron Age defensive architecture and domestic economy. It also has group importance as one of a chain of coastal fortifications, both brochs and promontory forts, along the E coast of South Mainland Shetland.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS records the monument as HU 43 NE 9.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.