Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bruceton Farm, symbol stone 410m SSE of

A Scheduled Monument in Kirriemuir and Dean, Angus

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.64 / 56°38'23"N

Longitude: -3.1594 / 3°9'33"W

OS Eastings: 328988

OS Northings: 750395

OS Grid: NO289503

Mapcode National: GBR VF.0N1V

Mapcode Global: WH6PB.FCRK

Entry Name: Bruceton Farm, symbol stone 410m SSE of

Scheduled Date: 29 November 1923

Last Amended: 19 December 2002

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM1619

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: symbol stone

Location: Alyth

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Kirriemuir and Dean

Traditional County: Perthshire

Description

The monument comprises a Pictish symbol stone. This symbol stone was first scheduled in 1923, but an inadequate area was included to protect all of the archaeological remains: the present re-scheduling rectifies this.

The symbol stone is situated in an arable field, some 410m SSE of Bruceton farm at around 80m OD, on the haughland of the River Isla. The stone stands up to 1.4m high and is 0.25m thick and 0.8m wide. It is of a type known as Class 1 and is inscribed on its S face only, with symbols of an arch and a type of 'Pictish beast' sometimes described as an elephant.

Antiquarian accounts record the discovery of human bones on the haugh and a number of cists less than 18m from the symbol stone.

The area proposed for scheduling comprises the remains described and an area around them within which related material may be expected to survive. It is a circle 10m in diameter, as marked in red on the accompanying map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to contribute to an understanding of the function and ornament of early medieval carved stones and Pictish burial and ritual practices.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

RCAHMS record the site as NO25SE 17.

References:

Allen, J. R. and Anderson J. (1903), The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, Edinburgh, 3, 282-3.

Coutts, H. (1970), Ancient Monuments of Tayside, Dundee, 52, 55, No. 6.

Jackson, A. (1984), The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts, Kirkwall.

Macfarlane, W. (1906-8), Geographical collections relating to Scotland, Mitchell Sir A and Clark J T (eds.), 3v, Edinburgh, Vol. 1, 114.

Meikle, J. (1933), The history of the Alyth parish church, Edinburgh, 16-17.

RCAHMS (1990a), The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, North East Perth: an archaeological landscape, Edinburgh, 87, No. 191.

Ritchie, J. N. G. (1985), Pictish Symbol Stones: a handlist, Edinburgh, 17.

Stuart, J. (1856a), Sculptured stones of Scotland, 1, Aberdeen, 34.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.