Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Kinnauld,fort 1000m north east of Eiden

A Scheduled Monument in East Sutherland and Edderton, Highland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.9845 / 57°59'4"N

Longitude: -4.1289 / 4°7'43"W

OS Eastings: 274216

OS Northings: 901455

OS Grid: NC742014

Mapcode National: GBR J75M.HF5

Mapcode Global: WH4D0.KK2W

Entry Name: East Kinnauld,fort 1000m NE of Eiden

Scheduled Date: 6 April 1935

Last Amended: 18 May 1993

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM1861

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric domestic and defensive: fort (includes hill and promontory fort)

Location: Rogart

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: East Sutherland and Edderton

Traditional County: Sutherland

Description

The monument consists of a prehistoric or early historic fort on the summit of a commanding bluff.

The fort consists of an inner enclosure with outworks. The inner enclosure measures about 37m from NE to SW by 29m from NW to SE and

is defined by walls about 3m thick. Within this enclosure is a small circular enclosure about 9m in diameter. The fort is surrounded with outworks. The bottom of a low cliff facing the W side of the fort has been scarped to form a ditch and outer bank. A natural trench across

the steep N approach to the fort has been scarped and heightened on

the N side to give added defence. Extending from the SW side of the

fort in a S direction down the slope to end on a rock outcrop is a

stony bank some 33m in length with an entrance gap. Tenuous traces indicate that the bank continued round to the E and then N to

terminate on the NE side of the fort or on the rocky slope close by

it. On the E side an elongated mass of stones represent the remains

of another bank

The area to be scheduled measures 120m N-S by 105m E-W, to include

the fort and outworks and an area around the fort in which traces of activities associated with the construction and occupation of the

fort may survive, as shown in red on the attached map.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.