Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Car Stone,standing stone north east of Milton Farm

A Scheduled Monument in Strathtay, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4513 / 56°27'4"N

Longitude: -3.6673 / 3°40'2"W

OS Eastings: 297330

OS Northings: 730042

OS Grid: NN973300

Mapcode National: GBR V1.4HWZ

Mapcode Global: WH5NX.M3WN

Entry Name: Car Stone,standing stone NE of Milton Farm

Scheduled Date: 6 November 1929

Last Amended: 14 December 1994

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM1512

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Prehistoric ritual and funerary: standing stone

Location: Logiealmond

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Strathtay

Traditional County: Perthshire

Description

A post-war public housing scheme comprising a linear terrace of 28 two-storey houses, built for Elgin Town Council between 1947-49 to the designs of architect John Wright. The terrace consists of nine separate blocks, which are symmetrically arranged in pairs or groups of four on either side of a central block of eight. The blocks of four and eight have two or three gabled bays (respectively) with round arched pends leading to the rear gardens. The blocks are harled (some off-white, some oatmeal) with ashlar dressings in reconstituted stone that include window rybats, and base and eaves courses.

The main (northwest) elevation of each dwelling is two or three bays with a bipartite window on the ground floor, divided by a stone mullion. The doorways are recessed behind round-headed arches supported on squat, engaged columns with scrolled capitals that imitate the arcaded 17th century details found in Elgin. The gabled side elevations are blank. The rear elevations (southeast) have three bays to the ground floor and two at first floor.

The slate roofs are steeply pitched with straight skews and ridge or end chimneystacks. The windows are uPVC or replacement timber sash and case, largely with 16-pane glazing at first floor and 12-pane at ground floor. A bow window has been inserted at No.5 and No.47 has metal casements. The doors are largely uPVC or timber replacements. Some dwellings have single-storey extensions to the rear.

The interiors of Nos. 1, 7, 15, 17, 35, 45 and 53 were seen in 2019. These are of a standardised plan with a living room, kitchen and bathroom on ground floor and three or four bedrooms on the first floor. The general layout has largely been retained throughout but the alcove and larder between the kitchen and former scullery has been removed in most dwellings, except for No.7. The internal decorative schemes largely date from the late 20th or early 21st centuries but No.7 has been minimally altered, retaining the simple internal scheme with vertically panelled timber doors and plain skirtings and architraves.

Boundary features include low-level walls fronting the main elevations, with simple pedestrian steel gates supported on squared piers. One set of vehicular steel gates remains. A number of boundary walls have had the openings enlarged and gates removed or replaced. Some walls have been entirely removed or replaced.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Statement of Scheduling

The monument is of national importance because of its potential to add to our understanding of Neolithic and Bronze Age ritual practice. The area around the stone may be expected to contain buried deposits preserving traces of ritual activity over a protracted period.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography

Maps

Ordnance Survey (published 1940) War Office Maps, Great Britain GSGS 3906 35/88 S.E. 1:25,000. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (surveyed/revised pre-1930 to 1958, published 1959) National Grid Maps NJ26SW - A (includes: Elgin; Spynie; St Andrews - Lhanbryd) 1:1250. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (surveyed/revised 1963-64, published 1965) National Grid Maps NJ2063-NJ2163 - AA (includes: Elgin; Spynie) 1:1250. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (published 1988) 1:1250. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

Plans with Moray District Record Office.

Cooper, M. et al, (2009) Scotland: Building for the Future, Essays on the Architecture of the Post-War Era, Edinburgh: Historic Scotland. pp. 20-23.

McKean, C. (1987) The District of Moray: An Illustrated Architectural Guide, pp.42-43.

Glendinning, M., MacInnes and MacKechnie, A. (1996) A History of Scottish Architecture: From the Renaissance to the Present Day, Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, p. 603.

Walker, D. and Woodworth, M. (2015) The Buildings of Scotland: Aberdeenshire North and Moray. Yale University Press, p. 609.

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, 1-55 Harrison Terrace http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/building_full.php?id=403280 [accessed 25/04/2019]

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, John Phin Miller Wright http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=206303 [accessed 25/04/2019]

Information provided courtesy of owner (2019).

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.