Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Westhaugh of Tulliemet,cross slab 180m south east of

A Scheduled Monument in Strathtay, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 56.6405 / 56°38'25"N

Longitude: -3.6513 / 3°39'4"W

OS Eastings: 298824

OS Northings: 751074

OS Grid: NN988510

Mapcode National: GBR V1.CMN9

Mapcode Global: WH5MY.WCG4

Entry Name: Westhaugh of Tulliemet,cross slab 180m SE of

Scheduled Date: 20 February 1930

Last Amended: 17 December 1964

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM1628

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: cross slab

Location: Dunkeld and Dowally

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Strathtay

Traditional County: Perthshire


18th and 19th centuries. T-plan parish church with mainly

round-headed windows, gallery forestair and porches in

re-entrant angles, gable-head birdcage belfry over N jamb,

vestry and porch adjoin E and N gables respectively. 2 burial

enclosures (including fine renaissance Mossknowe enclosure -

listed separately) adjoin at W. Church built of red rubble,

ashlar dressings and margins; roofs covered with graded

slates, red ridging tiles, finials over E and W gables.

Suggested building sequence: E and W gables and N wall of

body of church probably 1733; "partly rebuilt" (NSA) circa

1778, i.e. (presumably) heightened several courses and long S

wall rebuilt (forming deeper plan church) with voussoired

key-stoned and aproned windows and narrow base course; N jamb

perhaps contemporary (though openings originally

square-headed). Renovated 1892 - N porch, roof with ridging

tiles and belfry all date from then.

INTERIOR: mostly probably by (?William) MacGowan, 1835. 3

galleries with panelled fronts and each supported on 2

slender cast-iron columns; octagonal pulpit central on south

wall, with round-arched back board.

CHURCHYARD: Circa 1796 rusticated Irving of Woodhouse

enclosure abuts jamb; red ashlar, white marble inscription


Plain red ashlar enclosure at SW end of churchyard.

Churchyard enclosed by ashlar-coped rubble built walls, gates

at N and at W with square gatepiers. Mainly 18th and 19th

century headstones.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland


No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.