Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trusty's Hill,fort & symbol stone

A Scheduled Monument in Dee and Glenkens, Dumfries and Galloway

We don't have any photos of this monument yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 54.8789 / 54°52'43"N

Longitude: -4.2009 / 4°12'3"W

OS Eastings: 258893

OS Northings: 556009

OS Grid: NX588560

Mapcode National: GBR JH0T.6FW

Mapcode Global: WH4W2.FMTN

Entry Name: Trusty's Hill,fort & symbol stone

Scheduled Date: 19 January 1926

Last Amended: 21 August 1937

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM1100

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: symbol stone; Prehistoric domestic and defensive: fort (includes hill and

Location: Anwoth

County: Dumfries and Galloway

Electoral Ward: Dee and Glenkens

Traditional County: Kirkcudbrightshire


Predominantly late 18th century, with later additions. Classical, symmetrical U-plan former stables with later infill forming quadrangular courtyard; later 19th century adjoining implement sheds; large adjoining 18th century walled garden to NW with later 19th century integral gardener?s cottage; adjacent mid 19th century farmhouse with later 19th century adjoining former dairy and byre. Coursed whinstone; droved sandstone margins. Former stables in poor condition (2003).

STABLES: central round-arched pend to SW with crowstepped gable above; gable doocot with Venetian window, blind side lights and central pigeon ports (approximately 120 nesting boxes); stone above inscribed 'JF 1843? (see Notes). Flanking wings with 2 windows to ground, smaller blind openings with slit vents above; range to R minus pitched roof. Later single storey bothy range to rear with square, brick clock tower (previously harled). Segmental and flat-arched openings to ranges; oculi; forestair to grooms? accommodation, catslide detail to doorways inside courtyard; former tack room below. Granaries and haylofts to upper floors. Later long range to R; large opening with relieving arch to L; paired segmental- arched openings to R with further flat-arched opening to outer R; 2 smaller windows above; small circular vents below moulded eaves cornice. Inner courtyard paved with setts and bricks. Grey slates to piended roofs; some areas replaced with corrugated iron; some brick stacks.

FARMHOUSE: probably circa 1843. 3-bay, 2-storey piend-roofed house; raised window and angle margins. UPVC windows replacing timber sash and case plate glass glazing (originally probably 12-pane). Interior not seen (2003). Former dairy to L; byre adjoining at right angles. Whinstone with ashlar margins.

WALLED GARDEN: rectangular, approximately 120m x 70m, adjoining stables with tall, coped sandstone rubble walls. NE end shaped and stepped. Some areas ruinous.

GARDENER?S COTTAGE: 3 bays, 2 storeys; segmental-headed windows. Porch with flanking windows; 1st floor windows breaking overhanging, bracketed eaves. Whinstone; sandstone margins. Timber sash and case 12-pane glazing (good later 20th century replacements). Slate roof; end stacks. Cast iron rainwater goods.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland


No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself. is a Good Stuff website.