Ancient Monuments

History on the Ground

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Whitestones House, three symbol stones south west of (Tillytarmont 2, 3 & 4)

A Scheduled Monument in Keith and Cullen, Moray

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street or Overhead View
Contributor Photos »

If Google Street View is available, the image is from the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the monument. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5112 / 57°30'40"N

Longitude: -2.7865 / 2°47'11"W

OS Eastings: 352977

OS Northings: 847054

OS Grid: NJ529470

Mapcode National: GBR M8HW.072

Mapcode Global: WH7LD.5GCP

Entry Name: Whitestones House, three symbol stones SW of (Tillytarmont 2, 3 & 4)

Scheduled Date: 16 November 1923

Last Amended: 16 October 1998

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Source ID: SM351

Schedule Class: Cultural

Category: Crosses and carved stones: symbol stone

Location: Rothiemay

County: Moray

Electoral Ward: Keith and Cullen

Traditional County: Banffshire

Description

The monument comprises three symbol stones, which stand no more than 5m from one another in the policies of Whitestones House, some 85m SW of the main house:

The first (also known as Tillytarmont, no. 2) was ploughed up in 1944 in a field called Donaldstone Haugh, on North Tillytarmont Farm (NJ 533473). It is of red granite, 1.30m high, 0.61m wide and 0.15m thick, and bears the 'crescent and V-rod' and 'double disc and Z-rod' symbols.

The second (also known as Tillytarmont, no. 3) was first discovered a little before 1867 and was rediscovered by W.D.Simpson on the edge of Donaldstone Haugh in 1954. It is of red granite, 1.14m high, 0.91m wide and 0.38m thick. The markings are faint, but consist of a crescent (without V-rod) and part of what appears to be a double disc.

The third (also known as Tillytarmont, no. 4) was found before 1903 on the farm of North Redhill (NJ 560467). It was first built into a dyke and then moved to Rothiemay Castle before being erected on its present site. It is of whinstone, measuring 0.81m high, 0.58m wide and 0.27m thick. The finder recut the spiral and rectangular ornament on the left, leaving the ornament on the right as he found it.

The monument to be scheduled includes the three symbol stones as described and a circular area with a radius of 2m centred on each of them,in the position indicated on the accompanying map extract. These stones are already scheduled, but as a single and a pair under separate scheduling certificates. This rescheduling extends protection to all three as a group, plus a small area around each.

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Sources

Bibliography
No Bibliography entries for this designation

Source: Historic Environment Scotland

Other nearby scheduled monuments

AncientMonuments.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact AncientMonuments.uk for any queries related to any individual ancient or schedued monument, planning permission related to scheduled monuments or the scheduling process itself.

AncientMonuments.uk is a Good Stuff website.